Tuesday, July 29, 2008

I like this so you should too


I had not bought a whole CD in a while in this age of itunes and buying only the songs you want. I am fully aware I do not share the same musical tastes as most of the people who read this, I guess if I think I know who reads this. I love older rap from the late 80's early 90's and most of the stuff today is cRAP. Lolly pop this you hack.

Well I read some things about this guy named Dagha and his new "concept" album called The Divorce. I am usually weary of concept albums because they are usually hokey and bad. This concept was him telling the story of his own divorce and each song told a different part of his story involving his ex-wife and their break up. Now it is rap and that probably excludes most of you but I loved it. It was jazzy enough to remind me of Tribe called Quest and De La Soul. The lyrics were very involved and lead from one song to the next. I though of it like a episode of a TV show with a very clear story being told over 14 tracks. It was a really interesting story about a guy getting crapped on by an evil woman and rebounding. I have lived through that with my own divorce so it struck a chord with me. (Speaking of that did any of you see her little update in the Hillsdale magazine???) It may not mean they same to anyone else but I thought it was a really great album and thought you might too. I think word of mouth is big with indie guys like this so at least listen to a sample and let me know what you think.

3 comments:

Robin said...

I saw the update. ;) just thought I'd give you a comment of support, an amen if you will! -Robin

Laura said...

haha! I did see that update and wondered if you would notice that:)
(will just take your word on that cd, mkay?)

Robin said...

What were you saying about detroit vs. tribe! spoke to soon before we worked you guys this afternoon! ;)