Monday, May 26, 2008

I love Texas but...

First I want to say I love Austin and parts of the rest of Texas. I, probably like many of you, thought that Texas was all tumbleweeds and horseturds. But Austin is a beautiful town, kind of like Ann Arbor with better weather. I am sure my parents don't like it as much since our ever growing family is 1000 miles away but they, and the rest of you too, can come visit when they want.

Now I said that to say this, Texas in general thinks they are the only state left in the USA. They were their own country for awhile, and never let you forget it. I bring this up because I will and always will be a Michigan man. I will always follow my home teams, no matter how crappy that is to do, yeah I am looking at you Lions!!!!

I am sure most people know the Red wings (or as Ty calls them the Hot Wings) are about to win their 4th Stanley Cup in about 10 years. Seems like maybe a fan of their team, a former citizen of Hockeytown for Godsakes, might know a little about the game, right? Makes sense, right? Well, the Stars played the Wings in the last round and played well but ultimately lost 4-2. These hockey lifers down here were all over me about how great the Stars were before and during the series, not so much after. They told me stats and rules, and told me their opnions of their hockey dominance. If I remember they won one cup in 99 because Brett Hull cheated. When a guy with barely all his teeth tells you, "bet your scared yankee. the south is coming to take hockey too." I really think they think only people from dallas can play on that team. I am pretty sure that the whole team is "yankees". Madono is from Detroit.

Anyway, it is one of the only things that bugs me but it gets really annoying. Texas has to be the biggest and best at everything or everyones belt buckles will be confiscated. It's in the bylaws.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Hmmmm, I don't remember Texas EVER being associated with HOCKEY. At least REAL hockey. I mean, Michigan is the home of HOCKEYTOWN after all. You raise that Hot Wings flag high and proud young man and bring the kids up right!!! Go Wings!!!!